What: World Amateur Radio Day 2022
Who: All radio amateurs around the world
When: From Monday April 18, 2022 at 0000 UTC to Tuesday April 19, 2022 at 0000 UTC
Or: A global event covering all regions of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU)
Why: World Amateur Radio Day, which takes place on April 18 each year, is celebrated worldwide by radio amateurs and their national associations who are organized as member societies of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU). It was on this day in 1925 that the IARU was created in Paris. American Radio Relay League (ARRL) co-founder Hiram Percy Maxim served as its first president.
Amateur radio experimenters were the first to discover that the shortwave spectrum could support long-distance radio signal propagation. In the rush to use these shorter wavelengths, amateur radio was “in grave danger of being sidelined”. IARUhistory noted. The pioneers of amateur radio met in Paris in 1925 and created the IARU to promote the interests of amateur radio worldwide and to protect and improve its spectrum privileges. Today, the IARU is a federation made up of more than 160 national amateur radio organizations in as many different countries and territories. The international secretariat of the IARU is the ARRL, the National Association of Radio Amateurs® in the United States.
On World Amateur Radio Day, all radio amateurs are invited to take to the airwaves to take advantage of our worldwide friendship with other amateurs and to show our skills and abilities to the public.
How: World Amateur Radio Day is not a contest but rather an opportunity to “talk” about the value of amateur radio to the public and to our fellow amateurs. It’s also a great opportunity to talk about your radio club and ham radio in the local media in preparation for ARRL Field Day (held annually on the fourth full weekend in June) and another amateur radio-related activity in your community – such as as volunteers who serve in local emergency communications preparedness, including the ARRL Amateur Radio Emergency Service®.
Here are some ways to participate and promote World Amateur Radio Day:
- Put a station on the air! Create your own personal “event” to tell others about amateur radio, including your family and friends.
- To learn more about World Amateur Radio Day, see the IARU website and the other resources listed below.
- Create and host a special web or air event on World Amateur Radio Day to draw attention to the celebration and encourage other radio amateurs to talk about our hobby. VSConsider creating and giving a commemorative certificate to contact your special activation. It can be electronic as they are cost effective.
- Spread the word! If you are an ARRL public information coordinator, public information officer, or radio club publicity officer, send out a press release and conduct public relations actions to highlight the day and/or events. Talk about all the activities that radio amateurs have continued to support during the pandemic and how amateur radio serves our communities. Find recent examples of amateur radio in the news on www.arrl.org/media-hits.
- PPromote your personal World Amateur Radio Day activities on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #WorldAmateurRadioDay. Make sure youfinish with various clubs, reflectors and media.
Join us in celebrating World Amateur Radio Day and all the ways amateur radio brings us together!
ARRL The National Association of Radio Amateurs®
www.arrl.org/world-amateur-radio-day (this page)
IARU Region 2: Americas
Article: “World Amateur Radio is April 18”, ARRL News (April 8, 2022)
Article: “Why World Amateur Radio Day is essential to shine a light on a crucial service”, ITU News Magazine (No. 1, 2021)
Public relations and awareness
World Amateur Radio Day 2022 Backgrounder (PDF)
Media Advisory for World Amateur Radio Day 2022 (WORD Template)
Poster or flyer
World Amateur Radio Day Poster (8-1/2×11 JPG)
Día Mundial de la Radioafición Poster (8-1/2×11 JPG)
Special thanks to ARRL member Anne Frank, KD9LRB of Deer Park, Wisconsin, featured in these posters!
Social media and website graphics (JPG)
440×220 English Spanish
468×200 English Spanish
608×259 English Spanish
700×225 English Spanish
1080×1080 English Spanish
1200×628 English Spanish
Banner 5599×1566 English Spanish