This week’s show was taped on Wednesday at BT Sports Studios in London, England.
The show opened with a recap of last week’s “retirement promotion” by Trent Seven and his sneak attack on former partner and best friend, Tyler Bate.
Smith & Carter in-ring segment
NXT UK Tag Team Champions Ashton Smith and Oliver Carter headed to the ring. Smith wore a right knee brace.
Smith recounted how he watched the end of their title match over and over again and was amazed by the fan reaction each time. Early in his NXT UK career, he struggled to win matches and sometimes felt like no one had come to the shows to see him wrestle. Everything changed when Carter joined the brand, they started teaming up and he finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel.
This made it even harder to tell what he was going to say next: he broke his MCL in that match and therefore had to void the titles. He apologized to Carter and told him that he wanted him to be successful in the singles division while he was away and would always be behind him. Carter told her that everything was fine and not to worry. Smith vowed to be back and win the titles again. They then called Sid Scala and gave him the championship belts.
This brought out Die Familie who said they weren’t pinned in the triple threat match for the titles and demanded that the belts be handed over. This brought out Josh Briggs & Brooks Jensen who were originally set to challenge Smith & Carter on this show. Next up were Mark Haskins & Wild Boar and Dave Mastiff & Jack Starz.
Scala then announced a four-elimination match for the vacant titles in the main event of tonight’s show.
– Before his match with Nina Samuels on the show, NXT’s Sarray paid a backstage visit to Meiko Satomura. The champion greeted her and they spoke in Japanese. Satomura then turned to Emilia McKenzie and told her that Sarray was not their only visitor as McKenzie will face Fallon Henley next week. Satomura hoped to see a fighting spirit.
– Sha Samuels was backstage and spoke to Scala, asking him to reverse the decision for last week’s tag team match against Wolfgang and Damon Kemp. He said Wolfgang used a scarf, which was a foreign object and the ruling stands. Samuels began to berate Wolfgang, who conveniently walked behind him. They had words and Wolfgang offered a bet, so it looks like these two will meet again.
Isla Dawn defeated Myla Grace (5:05)
They traded pinfall attempts early until Grace foiled Dawn, who came back dropping Grace throat-first onto the top rope. Dawn was looking for a submission win, but Grace held her ground and kept hitting moves.
Grace eventually missed a crossbody from the top, allowing Dawn to hit a head kick and a half nelson slam for the eventual victory.
– Tyler Bate is taking some time off after last week’s attack by Trent Seven.
– A video showed Tiger Turan stalking Kenny Williams for the past few weeks.
– Noam Dar walked into the Scala office with the NXT UK Heritage Cup. He put it on Scala’a’s desk and told him that he had beaten everyone who had challenged him and that he thought it was time to put the trophy on his coat and raise more. great challenges. Scala began to protest and Dar suggested a final farewell game in a stadium in front of thousands of fans, chanting “Please don’t go”. He told the baffled Scala to get on with it and demanded double pay for the game.
Sarray defeated Nina Samuels (5:35)
Sarray started with a roll-up and immediately switched to a half-crab, sending Samuels rushing for the ropes. Sarray was on offense until Samuels caught her with a crossbody and hit a backbreaker.
Samuels illegally worked Sarray into the ropes and continued to dominate. Sarray came back with another roll-up, forearms and a knee dropkick from Samuels. She eventually hit a basement dropkick on Samuels into the ropes and pinned her after an overhead exploder suplex.
– Blair Davenport will return from injury next week.
– Xia Brookside and Eliza Alexander harassed Sarray when she came backstage. They leaned her against a wall, until Meiko Satomura’s power entered the frame and they backed away. Satomura spoke to Sarray in Japanese.
– Trent Seven will address the “NXT UK Universe” next week.
In an elimination match, Brooks Jensen and Josh Briggs defeated Dave Mastiff and Jack Starz, Mark Andrews and Wild Boar and Die Familie (Teoman and Rohan Raja) to claim the vacant NXT UK Tag Team titles (18:15)
All participants were in the ring as the show returned from hiatus. Wild Boar ditched the look of black contact lenses.
Haskins and Starz started with a technical fight, until blind Raja got involved. Jensen and Board then had a longer encounter and Jensen hit a massive Powerslam. Briggs and Jensen went for a double tag team action until Teoman came along and beat Boar.
Die Familie took turns working on Boar until he finally tagged Mastiff. Mastiff and Starz teamed up with Teoman for a while. Mastiff held Teoman for a long time for a vertical suplex, then knocked him down.
Briggs and Mastiff then clashed until Die Familie interfered and were thrown to ringside for their troubles. The two big men also threw everyone off the apron and clashed but were soon attacked again by Teoman and Raja.
Haskins briefly stopped him and hit a Shooting Star, top press outward on everyone for good measure. Fast action with Wild Boar and Jack Starz followed. Andrews nearly had Starz pinned after another shooting star, but Mastiff narrowly saved him.
Seconds later, Starz pinned Haskins after a small package at 9:35, knocking Haskins and Wild Boar out of the match.
Die Familie immediately attacked Starz, including Charlie Dempsey hitting an outside uppercut as the referee was distracted. Dave Mastiff was next and beat Jensen and Briggs while Dempsey hit another suplex on Starz on the outside. Rohan Raja used the confusion to hit Seek & Destroy on Mastiff and take out him and Starz at 12:14.
Die Familie stomped Briggs until Jensen made the save. Die Familie used nefarious team tactics to cut Jensen down to size. Finally, stereo hot tags were created and Briggs went wild on Raja and Teoman. Dempsey got on the apron, allowing Raja to hit a backstabber on Briggs followed by an assisted slam that looked like it could lead to a finish. Jensen made the save once more.
Teoman locked the crossface on Briggs who eventually managed to turn the move into a hairpin for a near pinfall. His back dropped Teoman about 20 feet in the air and tagged Jensen. Both big men hit big stereo boots on Teoman and Dempsey on the apron and hit an ugly incarnation of a high/low on Raja to score the final elimination and become the new NXT UK Tag Team Champions.
Henley came out to celebrate with them after the game as they posed with the belts.
The main event was a lot of fun as Brooks & Jensen didn’t look out of place and had a certain charm as two giants. Smith’s injury is unfortunate as he and Carter never even got to defend their title. Hopefully he’ll be back soon and I might see Carter getting mixed up with some of the bigger names on the roster. He’s really good and they definitely need someone who can work after all the recent moves to NXT 2.0.
Sarray also looked good in her debut on the show while Dawn vs. Grace was mostly there.
The behind-the-scenes segments also really spiced up the show.
- Emilia McKenzie vs. Fallon Henley
- Blair Davenport is back
- Promo Trent Seven