SAINT LOUIS (KWWL) – The Iowa Hawkeyes didn’t have to wait until final night to win a championship. Tom Brands and company did enough in the afternoon’s medal round to win their first tag team championship since 2010, marking the 24th overall in program history.
The Hawks have three more wrestlers to face in Saturday night’s championship bouts: Spencer Lee (125), Jaydin Eierman (141) and Michael Kemerer (174). Iowa will finish with seven out of 10 All-Americans qualifying.
UNI also crowned an All-American on Saturday. Freshman Parker Keckeisen beat John Poznanski of Rutgers 5-4 in the match for third place. It marked the best result for a Panther freshman since 1952. Keckeisen ends the season 20-1 with the only loss to Aaron Brooks of Penn State in the championship semifinals.
Medal Round Results (Iowa, ISU, UNI):
- 133 pounds 3rd Place Game – Austin DeSanto (Iowa) 12-2 won by decision over Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech) 12-2 (10-6) Dec.
- 157 pounds 7th Place Game – Kaleb Young (Iowa) 10-3 won by decision over Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State) 11-9 (Dec 3)
- 184 pounds 3rd Place Match – Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa) 20-1 won by decision over John Poznanski (Rutgers) 11-4 (December 5)
- 197-pound 3rd Place Game – Myles Amine (Michigan) 11-1 won by decision over Jacob Warner (Iowa) 13-4 (Dec 5-3)
- HWT 3rd place game – Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) 13-3 won by decision against Cohlton Schultz (Arizona State) 17-2 (Dec 5, 0)
- HWT 5th Place Game – Gannon Gremmel (Iowa State) 19-3 won by decision over Trent Hillger (Wisconsin) 10-7 (Dec 4)